Re-release of the third full-length album by the legendary British Symphonic Gothic Black Metal band.
This is a concept album based on the legend of the Hungarian "blood countess" Elizabeth Báthory. This was the last Cradle of Filth full-length album to feature guitarist and songwriter Stuart Anstis, keyboardist Lecter and drummer Nicholas Barker. There is a guest appearance by Ingrid Pitt on the song "Bathory Aria", who starred in the 1970 film "Countess Dracula", based on E. Bathory story. “Cruelty And The Beast” has been featured in various best-of lists. The album ranked tenth in Kerrang!'s list of the top ten "essential Black Metal" albums in 2000.
Never shy of embracing the epic, Cradle Of Filth have constantly sought to push the boundaries of their art and have continually refused to bow to convention or to conform to prevalent trends and fads. Despite this uncompromising stance, the band is still the most successful British heavy metal band since Iron Maiden with legions of fans around the globe!
Music For Nations/Sony BMG Music, 1998/2006 (82876 829062). Second re-release. Made in Germany.
1. Once Upon Atrocity 01:43
2. Thirteen Autumns And A Widow 07:14
3. Cruelty Brought Thee Orchids 07:18
4. Beneath The Howling Stars 07:42
5. Venus In Fear 02:20
6. Desire In Violent Overture 04:16
7. The Twisted Nails Of Faith 06:50
8. Bathory Aria: Benighted Like Usher/A Murder Of Ravens In Fugue/Eyes That Witnessed Madness 11:02
9. Portrait Of The Dead Countess 02:52
10. Lustmord And Wargasm (The Lick Of Carnivorous Winds) 07:30
Total playing time: 58:47 min.